Community Mobilization And Volunteer Advisor, Nigeria
Partner Name: Cocin Community Development Programme (CCDP)
Location: Panyam, Plateau State, Nigeria
Length Of Placement: 18 Months
Requirements: Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
Language Requirements: Fluent English “ Level 4-5
To self-assess your level
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America™s leading international development organizations working through volunteers.
About The Partner
COCIN Community Development Programme (CCDP) is the development arm of Church of Christ in Nigeria.
It was launched in 1997 following a merger between the former Rural Health Programme and Rural
Development Programme with the aim of delivering community based integrated participatory development programs to rural communities. CCDP is among the Nigerian Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) selected for the Strengthening Livelihoods of Small-Scale Farmers project, funded by the European Union and Oxfam, as well as the Making Markets Work for the Poor project funded by Accenture. Cuso International™s role in these projects is to provide volunteers for the implementing partners in partnership with the VSO Nigeria program office.
The Volunteer™s Role
In a recent study, local maize farmers identified a need for increased knowledge of effective maize production practices. To address this need, a community agricultural extension volunteer program was initiated. The partner is looking for a volunteer who will be able to build on this project to by increasing community involvement and scaling up the number of community agricultural volunteers to be able to reach more farmers and thus help in increasing their maize crop yields. Partner goals for the volunteer include:
- Develop a volunteering policy document with the staff of CCDP.
- Along with CCDP staff and the Agricultural Extension Advisor, review, scale up and strengthen the volunteer program™s monitoring and evaluation, recruitment and training tools.
- Work and liaise with the Plateau Agriculture Development Project (PADP) to broaden the partnership base of the community agricultural extension program.
- Build capacity of CCDP staff in volunteer management.
Skills And Qualifications
- A degree in Management or a relevant Social Science.
- At least 3 years working experience in a voluntary sector.
- Practical experience in low-income and/or rural community mobilization.
- Experience in managing volunteers, including recruitment, training and support.
- Sensitive to issues of participation and preferably with some knowledge of participatory approaches.
- Program monitoring, evaluation and report writing.
- Good people and