Communication Advisor, Nigeria
Partner Name: Girls Power Initiative, Cross Rivers
Location: Calabar, Cross Rivers, Nigeria
Length Of Placement: 12 Months
Must be Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
Language Requirements: Fluent English “ Level 4-5
To self-assess your level
Cuso International is a non-profit development organization that works through volunteers. Each year, we
send hundreds of global citizens to work on collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries
in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America™s leading international
development organizations that works through volunteers.
About The Partner Organization
Girls Power Initiative (GPI) is a registered organization who was awarded a Special Consultative Status
with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) in 2001. GPI vigorously promotes
gender equality and equity and works with adolescent girls to develop their leadership and capacity to
respond to, and work for social transformation towards gender and social justice. The vision of the
organization is to be a leading sustainable institution with critical consciousness and capacity for analysis
on social and gender prejudices, committed to empowering girls into healthy, self-reliant and productive
women for the achievement of positive changes and transformation of patriarchal values in Nigeria.
The organization focuses on education, leadership and gender-sensitive life management skills,
HIV/AIDS Education, sexual and reproductive health and rights, particularly of adolescent girls, aged 10-
18 years in Nigeria.
The Volunteer™s Role
Overall placement purpose and specific volunteer placement objectives:
The overall purpose of this placement is to strengthen the organizational capacity of Girls Power Initiative
to make more impact in its HIV and AIDS prevention, care and support programs.
1. To assist in the development of all communications materials that includes newsletters,
brochures, pamphlets and other Information Education and Communication (IEC) resources.
2. Provide support in upgrading the organisation™s website and build the capacity of staff on how to
3. To provide technical assistance in developing a recording studio and establish informative
television programmes on related thematic.
4. To train staff, volunteers and project beneficiaries on how to use videography to communicate
5. Support and strengthening capacity of staff, volunteers and beneficiaries on script
writing, collection of raw video footage and post production (including editing)
6. Work with project staff in documenting GPI™s work at field level using videos.
Skills And Qualifications
• University degree in communications or a related field
• Minimum 2-3 years™ experience in the development of communications and public relations
materials (videos/pictures) or related area
• Proficient skills in areas of development of IEC materials, filming, editing, documentary
production and script writing.
• Must have basic knowledge of HIV and