Conference on the Role of Private Universities in Higher Education in Africa
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, August 7, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ — INVITATION TO REPRESENTATIVES OF THE MEDIA
Wednesday, 08 – Friday, 10 August 2012 9:00am daily
African Union Commission Old Building Conference Complex, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Jointly organized by African Union Commission (AUC), The Association of African Universities (AAU), and St. Mary’s University College (SMUC).
The conference is being organized to achieve the following objectives:
• Assessing the impact of private higher education provision on the revitalization of higher education in Africa;
• Determining pedagogical reforms that would contribute to the core functions of teaching, learning and research in private universities;
• Exploring areas for effecti9ve collaboration in research between public and private universities in Africa;
• Reviewing the impact of globalization on the ‘true’ values in higher education in Africa with particular emphasis on the ‘commodification’ of higher education as a tradable good under the General Agreement on Trade and Services (GATs); and
• Making recommendations for the maintenance of the maximum social benefit to be derived from the persuit of higher education.
The conference is expected to produce the following outcomes:
• Commissioned papers and policy briefs as advocacy tools on quality assurance and accreditation issues in private universities;
• Facilitate collaboration and building of synergies between public and private universities in Africa;
• Contribute to strategic planning and pedagogical reforms towards the pursuit of the three core functions of teaching, learning and community service in private universities; and
• Provide an enhanced platform for networking amongst private universities in Africa.